Thanks creecode:

I've read those docs in the past, but they do help in further
refreshing my memory,
and further refining the question.

* django-registration is installed and works great, the only problem I
have
  is that somehow I need to populate the profiles table defined as
  AUTH_PROFILE_MODULE in settings.py
  and in mysite.myproject.models.py.

  The temporary registration table is being populated for every
registration,
  along with the user authorization tables, but the table defined in
  AUTH_PROFILE_MODULE  is not.

* i'd suspect that somewhere in models.py there would be a hook for
this,
  there is reference to something called profile_callback that seems
like it
  might be clue to this but I can't figure it out from the docs and
code
  I've read so far.

* i'm very uncertain at this point if i want to use django-profiles
for this,
  but would prefer for now to just get a hook into the "profiles"
table i've
  assigned to AUTH_PROFILE_MODULE.

any help would be appreciated.