On Jan 19, 5:20 pm, Malcolm Tredinnick <malc...@pointy-stick.com>
wrote:
> Just to be accurate, PEP 249 says that a paramstyle of "pyformat" is one
> possible value, which would permit the above sort of query. It does not
> say that every conforming database wrapper is required to support it.
> Although the PEP recommends supporting "numeric", "named" or pyformat"
> styles of parameter markers, historically and practically, most database
> wrappers have supported "format", although SQLite (and some other
> databases that don't have backends in Django's core, although the exact
> names escape me now) only supports "qmark".
>
> Since you note later in the thread that you're using SQLite, that is the
> cause of the confusion here. I don't think there's any bug.

Not quite.  SQLite also supports the "named" style.  The only barrier
to using that style through the Django cursor wrapper is that the
backend will intercept the query, assume it's written in the "format"
style, and attempt to convert it to "qmark", raising an error when
that fails.  I think this is not a bug, but a design question: should
Django support passing query parameters as mappings; if so, should the
backend pass the engine's native style through unchanged, or should we
standardize on "pyformat" (as we have already standardized on "format"
when the parameters are passed as a sequence)?

We should move this discussion to the developers list or the ticket.

Ian