It would appear there is method called get_internal_type() that maybe
what I am looking for.
The method is in django.db.models.Field. But I am unable to find
anything that would tell
me how to use the function to return the data type for a field in a
model.

m=Org()

for field in m._meta.fields[1:]:
       fields.append(str(field.name))
       get_internal_type(field.name) - is this the correct way to call
the method ?