On Fri, 2009-01-23 at 21:48 -0800, dj wrote:
> It would appear there is method called get_internal_type() that maybe
> what I am looking for.
> The method is in django.db.models.Field. But I am unable to find
> anything that would tell
> me how to use the function to return the data type for a field in a
> model.

It's documented in the source. The source is Python, so reading it isn't
that hard.

Be aware, though, that get_internal_type returns something that is
appropriate for determining the type of database column to use. *Not*
the Python type that is used for the attribute. That latter value isn't
returned by anything. It isn't even a well-defined concept (a field
could potentially store and return multiple types, since they're
arbitrary Python objects at the most general level).

Regards,
Malcolm