I need to separate static media roots into "static" (belonging to
application - css, images etc) and "dynamic" (uploaded by users with
filefields etc).

The point is that truly "static" media doesn't change and is part of
the deployed code. Dynamic "static" media is uploaded and kept in a
separate directory not within the application code.

Is there any way to have 2 media directories in django?

Ideally I would like /uploads/ and /media/ but the FileField appends
the filename to the MEDIA_URL which in my case would be wrong because
it is dynamic media not truly static.

I next tried mapping 2 instances of django.views.static.serve, once
to /media/uploads/ (this solves FileField problem) and once to /media/
for truly static application media.

However, I find that django.views.static.serve doesn't allow a media
root only document root to server from.

To me it seems poor design to combine application media (belongs to a
specific version of application code) with uploaded media (belongs to
what is in the database).

Any suggestions?