OK thanks and yes it does but that's half the story. I haven't made
myself very clear. The ImageField still tries to append /media/ to the
image upload_to path rather than /uploads/ which would retrieve them
from the dynamic media root rather than the application media.

My point was how do I get these 2 things to work together serving
multiple media directories and FileFields?

The only way I can see is to have uploads under media which I don't
really want. I can't see a way in the docs to tell file field which
media root it belongs to.