Thank you for explaining that the ports were the issue. My little
workaround is to simply run two dev servers:
from command line: python manage.py runserver 8080
then open another command line window: python manage.py runserver 8000

So in my views, the url I access is on port 8080. So when I access my
api through a browser, I use localhost:8000.