I'll see if I can extract some small subset and post the details.

In the meantime, more info: the problem only occurs when an error is
encountered during a call in which the server will return a
HttpResponse('', mimetype='text/xml; charset=utf-8') object in
response to some AJAX request; things apparently work when the server
will return a render_to_response, which shows a page in the browser.

Before I switched to Django, and just used webapp (a simplified
version of Django in Google App Engine), the first type of problem
would dump the stack trace to the console.  Now, the trace does not go
to the console, and it is here that the exception within the exception
is thrown.

Could this be a setting or path issue?