On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 1:44 PM, Bobby Roberts <tchend...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Feb 19, 1:08 pm, Karen Tracey <kmtra...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Hi Daniel... I'm new to the python world... can you tell me what that
> > > even is?
> >
> > A quick read through the tutorial would have covered it.  If you don't
> want
> > to be bothered with the tutorial (an unwise choice, in my opinion, but
> it's
> > up to you), you should still learn how to search the docs.  Put
> __unicode__
> > in the search box here:
> >
> > http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/
> >

> Karen -
>
> I appreciate your help that you provide, but a kinder tone to the new
> programmers coming from other backgrounds would be greatly
> appreciated.  Many on this list talk at levels which others cannot
> follow.  Therefore I have created a Noob django group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/djangonoobs.  Everyone is welcome and
> simpleton type questions are welcome and answers should be helpful.
> Experts are encouraged to join and mentor new django programmers still
> trying to find their legs.  I have, by the way read the docs and it's
> still confusing, thus the reason for my question in the first place

Bobby, I am sorry you read my tone as unkind, it was not intended to be.
This question:

> can you tell me what that [__unicode__ method] even is?

didn't read to me as coming from someone confused by the docs on __unicode__
but rather from someone who hadn't even encountered the term before.

In my experience, coming to Django knowing no Python, the tutorial explained
the purpose and use of this method (though it was called __str__ then) in a
way that was understandable to Python novices.  So my first thought was you
should really work through the tutorial, but if you don't have time for that
even a quick read through would be enlightening, but if for some reason you
don't even want to do that, there is always searching the docs for specifics
on what you are having trouble with. So those are the directions I pointed.

People do skip the tutorial because they think they don't have time for it
-- I think that is a mistake and ultimately likely costs them more time than
it saves them, but that is up to them.  If they then come here asking
questions that are clearly answered in the tutorial, though, I don't feel it
is unkind to point them back to the tutorial as being the most effective way
to get started.

In general I will point to the docs as opposed to trying to explain
something in my own words because the docs are far more likely to be correct
and complete than anything I write off the top of my head.  It's not
intended to be dismissive, it is what I feel is generally a better answer.

Even now that you have said you have "read the docs and it's still
confusing" I don't really know how to help you.  I don't know what doc,
exactly, you find confusing. You did not cite a passage that you can't
follow or words that don't seem to make sense, so I'm at a loss to know what
it is that is confusing or how to clear it up.  If you could be more
specific on what is causing the confusion, you might get better answers.

Karen