I think I may have found the culprit (?), but I have no idea how to
fix this. In my project folder, there is a file called sqlnet.log.
Here's the last entry:

Fatal NI connect error 12505, connecting to:
 (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)
(HOST=devportal2.dcs.its.utexas.edu)(PORT=1521))(CONNECT_DATA=
(SID=viprt.dcs.its.utexas.edu)(CID=(PROGRAM=Python)(HOST=btaylor-
MacBook.local)(USER=root))))

  VERSION INFORMATION:
        TNS for MacOS X Server: Version 10.2.0.4.0 - Production
        TCP/IP NT Protocol Adapter for MacOS X Server: Version 10.2.0.4.0 -
Production
  Time: 20-FEB-2009 14:00:59
  Tracing not turned on.
  Tns error struct:
    ns main err code: 12564
    TNS-12564: Message 12564 not found; No message file for
product=network, facility=TNS
    ns secondary err code: 0
    nt main err code: 0
    nt secondary err code: 0
    nt OS err code: 0

Check out the last value in the connection: USER=root
When I start up my dev server, I usually override port 80 on my Mac,
so I can just run at : localhost/

Shouldn't the USER parameter be the DATABASE_USER from settings.py? or
am I smoking crack?