Ditto on everything plus I'll add this...

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 02:45:37PM -0500, Tim Chase spake thusly:
> PHP-raw is a maint. headache.  Using some of the PHP frameworks
> (cake, etc) helps alleviate those problems, but I still prefer
> Python over PHP as a language.

Not only that but *good* PHP coders are very hard to find. I've
advertised for PHP jobs before and you get a lot of chaff. Most people
who are or can be good seem to move on to something else. Advertise
for a Python (or Ruby) job and you get a totally different group of
people. And then there is the fact that RedHat recently released a
report on the security of RHEL4 over the past 4 years and PHP is the
only language specifically called out with its own section for special
treatment as a security problem:

http://magazine.redhat.com/2009/03/10/risk-report-four-years-of-red-hat-enterprise-linux-4/#id1550273

--
Tracy Reed