If you don't need any spatial related queries (although django people
uses something like  that) you don't really need a spatial database.
You can store geographic coordinates in either FloatFields or
CharFields. Your question is more related to GoogleMaps API than django.

I'm assuming you only need to store points, not lines or shapes.

If you try out some google maps API examples you'll find out it's
pretty straightforward to let users post geographic coordinates to you
backend.  Publishing these coordinates on a map is even easier.

I don't think there's anything special in django.contrib.gis that you
may use. Except if you want to use the geo admin (which is awesome
btw) in that case you'll need to use a spatial database.