Cheers for your suggestion Alex, I'll look into nginx.

> How are you currently using mod_wsgi? Are you using embedded mode or
> daemon mode? Also, which Apache MPM are you using? Finally, do you
> have requirements to run crap like PHP on the same Apache?

Currently I do run php... would rather not but I have one major site
still using it. Hopefully that will change soon though. I'm using
Daemon mode and prefork... now that I think about it, maybe I should
change to worker? I'm using what came with my Ubuntu VPS.

> There have been various discussions over time about this on the
> mod_wsgi list on Google Groups. What is the best setup ultimately
> depends on various things, including expected amount of traffic,
> whether memory conservation is a priority, whether you have compute
> bound tasks being performed by application, or whether it is mostly i/
> o bound on disk and database.

None of my sites are high traffic. I have 6 django sites and one php
currently, running on a VPS with 383Mb RAM which seems to be the
performance bottleneck... but my provider doesn't let me just upgrade
the RAM without upgrading everything else.

So, I guess memory conservation is the priority - CPU usage seems
fine. 5 of the django sites are pretty lightweight - just basic db-
backed content sites. (sqlite3 is the db engine)
The other is a satchmo site which definitely uses more resources. I
don't know much about satchmo internals but I'd say the application is
doing a lot more processing than the others.

Hope this makes sense... thanks for the help!