On Apr 20, 2:34 pm, Greg <gregplaysgui...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Cheers for your suggestion Alex, I'll look into nginx.
>
> > How are you currently using mod_wsgi? Are you using embedded mode or
> > daemon mode? Also, which Apache MPM are you using? Finally, do you
> > have requirements to run crap like PHP on the same Apache?
>
> Currently I do run php... would rather not but I have one major site
> still using it. Hopefully that will change soon though. I'm using
> Daemon mode and prefork... now that I think about it, maybe I should
> change to worker? I'm using what came with my Ubuntu VPS.

In general you cannot use Apache worker MPM with PHP as various third
party extensions for PHP are not thread safe.

Can you possibly post the WSGIDaemonProcess/WSGIProcessGroup/
WSGIScriptAlias configuration information so can see how many
processes/threads you are delegating to each site application.
Designate which is the Satchmo site and if you can indicate how much
memory processes for each site is taking that might also help. If you
do not know about the 'display-name' option to WSGIDaemonProcess, such
that you can name processes as they appear in 'ps' output, then look
it up in documentation and start using it. This will help you work out
which applications memory is going to. See:

http://code.google.com/p/modwsgi/wiki/ConfigurationDirectives#WSGIDaemonProcess

Do you have any restrictions on particular sites in regard to
multithreading. In other words, are some applications being run not
thread safe and so can only run in single threaded configuration.

> > There have been various discussions over time about this on the
> > mod_wsgi list on Google Groups. What is the best setup ultimately
> > depends on various things, including expected amount of traffic,
> > whether memory conservation is a priority, whether you have compute
> > bound tasks being performed by application, or whether it is mostly i/
> > o bound on disk and database.
>
> None of my sites are high traffic. I have 6 django sites and one php
> currently, running on a VPS with 383Mb RAM which seems to be the
> performance bottleneck... but my provider doesn't let me just upgrade
> the RAM without upgrading everything else.
>
> So, I guess memory conservation is the priority - CPU usage seems
> fine. 5 of the django sites are pretty lightweight - just basic db-
> backed content sites. (sqlite3 is the db engine)
> The other is a satchmo site which definitely uses more resources. I
> don't know much about satchmo internals but I'd say the application is
> doing a lot more processing than the others.
>
> Hope this makes sense... thanks for the help!

Graham