On Apr 22, 7:30 pm, MrJogo <mrj...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm creating a website for an organization that is going to need a
> complicated web admin interface. The built in one is fine for the site
> administrators, but there are different staff positions that need
> access to different models, and sometimes individual fields in those
> models should be hidden from certain staff members. On top of that,
> for certain models, it makes more sense to present the information in
> a non-standard way (such as, for the staff models, presenting each
> year's staff as a group).  I just discovered the AdminSite stuff, and
> was wondering whether it is worth it to try to create a custom one, or
> if I should just create custom views. I'm leaning towards custom
> views. Thanks.

It really does depend on your site.

Customising the admin is great for some use cases - for a fairly
simple site, you can get quite a long way by overriding the forms with
custom validation, etc. But it's when you start to step outside that
limit that you'll get problems.

Where I work, we've spent a lot of effort customising the admin to
create a full-featured CMS. I think we all universally now believe
that this was the wrong approach, and we should have just done custom
views from the start.

On the other hand, I've done several smaller sites that rely just on
the admin - either straight out of the box, or customised to a greater
or lesser extent - and those projects have been very successful.

--
DR.