Partial solution: I added the following settings variable:

PythonOption django.root "/directory"

The /directory part is now successfully added to all front-end pages.
However saving models within the admin is broken. When I click save,
the URL it tries to go to (which would be the list view for that
model) is missing the /directory part. Is this a bug in django?

At this point my http.conf looks like this:

<Location "/">
    PythonHandler django.core.handlers.modpython
    PythonPath "['/home/casacasa/webapps/django', '/home/casacasa/
webapps/django/lib/python2.5'] + sys.path"
    SetEnv DJANGO_SETTINGS_MODULE CasaCasa.settings
    SetHandler python-program
    PythonOption SCRIPT_NAME
    PythonOption django.root "/directory"
</Location>