This is how I did it. You have have a settings_default.py, which
contains all the commons settings.

In your development environment, you use settings.py that has this on
the top ...

from settings_defaults import *

... then you overwrite whatever setting variables that are needed for
your development environment.

For you production (server) environment, you use another settings.py
again import from settings_default, and overwrite whatever setting
variables that are needed for the server.

Also, you can use the following to get the path on where your django
project is:

import os.path
PROJECT_DIR = os.path.dirname(__file__)

Hope this helps.