I ran into what I think might be a bug and wanted to check here before
possibly posting it.

Essentially what seems to be happening is that Django seems to return
datetime.datetime or datetime.date from DateFields in models and I
can't figure out why it returns one type at one time and another type
at another.

I have two models and the parent has a method that is suppose to
compare it's latest update date and the date of the latest child
update and return whichever date is more rescent.  However when I try
to unit test the Release.all_last_update method I get the following
error:

"TypeError: can't compare datetime.datetime to datetime.date"

But all values are being pulled from a DateField.  Is Django casting
it incorrectly or am I missing something somewhere?

Models are below.

class Release(models.Model):
    created_on = models.DateField(auto_now=False, auto_now_add=True)
    last_updated = models.DateField(auto_now=True, auto_now_add=True)

    def all_last_updated(self):
        d = []
        d.append(self.last_updated)
        d.append(Activity.objects.filter(release_fk=self).latest
().last_updated)
        d.sort().reverse()
        return d[0]

    class Meta:
        get_latest_by = 'last_updated'
        ordering = ["project_fk", "internal_priority"]

class Activity(models.Model):
    created_on = models.DateField(auto_now=False, auto_now_add=True)
    last_updated = models.DateField(auto_now=True, auto_now_add=True)

    def all_last_updated(self):
          return self.last_updated

    class Meta:
        get_latest_by = 'created_on'