On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 5:46 PM, dartdog <tombran...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Old topic but don't really get the solution...
> I'm using SVN 1.1 Django
> and Python 2.6 On win Vista
> I downloaded tagging and it now sits in my Site-Packages directory for
> Python I used Tagging 0.2.1 win 32exe from Google code

There's a note in bold on the tagging project page:

http://code.google.com/p/django-tagging/

that says "Version 0.3 is targetting Django 1.0 - please use the trunk
version for now".  I take that to mean if you are using Django 1.0 or
higher, you should use the SVN trunk version of django-tagging.  The release
date noted for 0.2.1 is January 2008, many months before Django 1.0.  Given
all the backwards-incompatible changes that went into Django in the last
run-up to Django 1.0, it's highly unlikely tagging 0.2.1 is going to work
well with Django from current SVN.

> It seems very strange to me that this Django package chooses to live
> in the Python Directory structure?

That's a standard Python practice.  Add-on packages can be installed under
Python's site-packages and then be automatically found without having to
list them explicitly somewhere in PYTHONPATH.  This practice is independent
of Django.

> Since the current Django 1.1 django.db.models.query has no parse
> look_up, I get errors on import....

I've never used tagging, but I suspect that is because you are using a
version of tagging that is far too old for the version of Django you are
using.

> What is the right way to implement tagging (solve this problem) for
> future compatibility?

You could try the SVN version of tagging.

> I see a bunch of fairly old discussion on this but nothing recent.
> Frankly I'm not sure I understand the prior solutions?

Since you don't mention any specifics here I'm not sure what it is you don't
understand.

> I see that tickets referring to this are closed... but as I said I
> don't see a simple cogent explanation of what to do using the current

Again, you left out any specifics of what tickets you don't understand the
resolution of.   I do not even know if you are talking about tickets in
Django's tracker or tagging's issue tracker.  All I can recommend is that
you upgrade to the latest SVN revision of tagging and try that.

Karen