I suspect this is a question more for a PostgreSQL list, but please
bear with me.

In Django 1.0.2 working with PostgreSQL 8.3 I have a model with an
implied pkey.  PostgreSQL syas this:

CREATE TABLE wha_property
(
  id serial NOT NULL,
  propnum character varying(16) NOT NULL,
  beds integer,
  baths integer,
  rooms integer,
  garage character varying(8),
  frontage integer,
  is_corner boolean,
  street_id integer NOT NULL,
  land_area numeric(10,2),
  year_built integer,
  valuation_nr character varying(16),
  CONSTRAINT wha_property_pkey PRIMARY KEY (id),
  CONSTRAINT wha_property_street_id_fkey FOREIGN KEY (street_id)
      REFERENCES wha_street (id) MATCH SIMPLE
      ON UPDATE NO ACTION ON DELETE NO ACTION DEFERRABLE INITIALLY
DEFERRED,
  CONSTRAINT wha_property_street_id_key UNIQUE (street_id, propnum)

The wha_property table is populated with 500,000 rows from another
database.  There are gaps in the series of used id numbers.

If I attempt to insert a new row Django mostly reports an integrity
violation at wha_property_pkey, though a couple of times with
different parent rows it has worked.  My very newbie view for
inserting or updating a row is here:

http://dpaste.com/65435/

I would be very happy if someone can spot where I have an error.  If
anyone cares to criticise my view, please be gentle.  I am new at this
Django/PostgreSQL magic.

Regards and thanks for past help.

Mike