Here's the situation: I've got two projects, both Django. One is a
simple, public-facing website that renders a library of
reStructuredText files, as well as a couple of simple forms using the
Forms API. The other is a back-end that requires a login from a member
of our staff, and contains database tables, forms, the whole bit; it's
practical purpose is for tracking equipment in buildings across a
college campus.

In this second Django project, let's call it P2, I've got a database
table of all the buildings on our campus, as well as a database table
of all of our equipment, and most pieces of equipment has a barcode
number associated with it.

In the first Django project, let's call it P1, I've got a form where a
patron will fill out information about who they are, what department,
they're with, etc., but I need them to choose a specific building, and
if available, specify the barcode number of the troublesome equipment.
I want to have a dropdown list of all the buildings show up in the
form, but all the data is associated with another project; otherwise,
I'd just do a forms.ModelChoiceForm.

How do I go about accessing that data from P2's database? Do I need to
create a model in P1 and bind it to a certain table in P2's database?
If that's the case, how do I specify access credentials for that
database? Is that in settings.py?