On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 9:50 PM, Glenn Maynard<gl...@zewt.org> wrote:
> In this case, that's a terrible-performance-by-default approach.
> (It's also not a default, but the only behavior, but I'll probably
> submit a patch to add a setting for this if I don't hit any major
> problems.)

Please do a bit more research and reflection on the topic before you
start submitting patches, because this isn't quite what you're making
it out to be.

In the case of a fairly low-traffic site, you're not going to notice
any real performance difference (since you're not doing enough traffic
for connection overhead to add up). In the case of a high-traffic
site, you almost certainly want some sort of connection-management
utility (like pgpool) regardless of what Django does, in which case it
becomes rather moot (since what you're doing is getting connection
handles from pgpool or something similar).

Meanwhile, the codebase stays much simpler and avoids some pitfalls
with potential resource and state leaks.

(and, in general, I don't believe that connection-management utilities
belong in an ORM; keeping them in a different part of the stack
drastically increases flexibility in precisely the cases where you
need it most)