@Torsten: Grüß Gott!  Agreed, I'm sold that the web client/server
model is the way to go for my project.

@Jonas: Thanks for the tip!  I found the multi-db thread.  Looks like
multi-db support is just around the corner, and I probably wont need
it for a few months, so I think I'm going to give Django a go!

Btw, I researched the Rails camp on this topic, and found multi-db
support there to be equally lacking.  A couple folks said they came up
with solutions (rails gems): connection_ninja and
magic_multi_connections.  But these seemed like beta, individual, side-
projects (not to mention that the Google group associated with the
second project was infested with spam).

Hopefully the multi-db support they are talking about in django-
developers will be a more integral part of the Django core.