For what it's worth, here's what helped me about a month ago. The PIL
installation process is a mess, and I had to follow these instructions, step
by step.
I think I've fixed the problem. It had to so with  PIL not being installed
correctly. Check out this link:
http://www.answermysearches.com/fixing-pil-ioerror-decoder-jpeg-not-available/320/
for
a possible solution. Now, jpeg images are uploaded and saved.