Hi

I want to have a guest concept.  You get instant access to my app.
There are limits.  But, you will be allowed to come back multiple
times before I require you to register.

When a user comes in as a guest, I will create a user with a bogus
username, password and email, and put  the user_id in the session, so
that when the user comes back I can read it and restore saved state.

I'm mildly concerned that it's unsafe to put the user_id in the
session.  I can imagine a hacker faking that somehow, and getting
access to other guest accounts.  I'm not sure the risk is that big,
and once users register, the risk goes down.  But, I'm wondering if
this is at all foolhardy.  Is there a better way to approach this?

Perhaps a hash key or something that isn't sequentially too
guessable.  Or some encryption.

This guest concept has inherent security issues with shared computers:
labs, cafes, etc.  The user will made aware of this when logging in as
Guest.  Also there will be no sensitive or private data in this guest
account that if seen by another user would make much difference.

Thanks for any insight
Gene