On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 10:20 PM, ristretto.rb<ristretto...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I want to have a guest concept.  You get instant access to my app.
> There are limits.  But, you will be allowed to come back multiple
> times before I require you to register.

How do you plan to tell if the guest "came back"?  The only reasonable
mechanism I can think of is to use a session cookie (you can't rely on
things like IP address ... like most folks with a home router, all the
computers in my household will appear to have the same IP address to a
service we contact, and the same would be true for most business
situations).  And even if you rely on a session cookie, your
restrictions are easily bypassed by the user who simply clears their
cookie cache.

Until you can solve this problem reliably (good luck!), the
implementation details are not really worth thinking about.  But
things like using a session cookie are no more or less secure for this
use case than they are for the usual approach to keep a user logged on
to a web app, other than the fact that you'd probably need to keep
your session alive a lot longer.

Craig

PS:  The typical solution I've seen for a "guest" concept is to offer
only a limited subset of the overall functionality to non-registered
users, with lots of teasers about "if you would only bother to
register, you could do FOO and BAR and BAZ!".  Example:  ESPN's web
site has a bunch of "freely available" stories accessible to anonymous
users, but the (presumbably) good stuff requires a login.  Figuring
out the balance point is a challenge -- for me, for example, I'm not a
fantasy football junkie, so the extra subscribers-only analysis
doesn't have enough value for me to bother to register (or pay, as the
case may be).