On Sat, Sep 12, 2009 at 8:55 PM, Daniel Roseman <dan...@roseman.org.uk>wrote:

> On Sep 12, 9:53 pm, tom <toab...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > i want to produce a left-join query with the django orm. Can anybody
> > help howto do the following query?
> >
> > SELECT S.value, D.value from data as S left join data as D on
> > S.entry_id=D.entry_id;
> >
> > Cheers tom
>
> What's the point of this query? What are you trying to achieve?
>
> I believe Django will automatically do a left-join query if your
> ForeignKey has null=False. But your question doesn't seem to be about
> left join queries in general, it's about the specific case where you
> join a table to itself. But without understanding why you'd want to do
> what you're doing here, I can't answer.

I believe the general reason for performing a query like this is to minimize
the number of queries that have to be performed.

What I think you want is select_related(). The docs don't mention ManyToMany
fields but for ForeignKey fields it looks like it does what you are looking
for. It's documented here:
http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/ref/models/querysets/#id4