I am going to populate the tables in my Django app from .CSV files
rather than through the admin interface, so I am going to need a
slugify Python function.  I could write my own or pull a snippet from
the web, but this seems error prone.  The right way to do it would
seem to be to use the slugify code that is already in Django.

This code must be in there somewhere because there is a slugify
template feature and the admin pages can prepopulate slug fields.
However, I don't see a reference in the documentation to a slugify
Python function that can be called from a Django app, and the fact
that I can find lots of Django snippets online in which people are
rolling their own slugify function makes me think that this function
is not part of the Django API.

What is the best way to slugify an arbitrary string using a Python
call?