James Bennett wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 6:01 AM, Chris Withers <ch...@simplistix.co.uk> wrote:
>> All of your problems seem to center on zipped eggs. These are evil
>> things anyway, and can be avoided by simply putting zip_safe=False as a
>> parameter to setuptools (whether it actually comes from setuptools, or
>> if it comes from the maintained fork, distribute). Buildout event has a
>> config options to say "I don't care whether the egg thinks it's zip safe
>> or not, unzip it!" ;-)
>
> They are indeed evil, and what's more evil is the fact that opting out
> of setuptools' overzealous zip behavior... requires you to switch to
> using setuptools and buy into its way of doing things.

I don't follow this, but then maybe that's 'cos I use buildout and never
setuptools directly. Still, I know that this has been solved by flipping
the default for zip_safe to False in distribute. "What's distribute?" I
hear you ask. Well, enough people got fed up with Phil Eby's stubborn
refusal to either do any maintenance of setuptools, or let anyone else
do any, and so they forked it. Primarily led by Tarek Ziadé, it provides
a setuptools package but in a distribution named "distribute" (yes, the
name sucks, yes I complained about this, yes I was shouted down).
I'm not 100% on the "future" of distribute, but the 0.6 release branch
promises to be 100% backwards compatible with setuptools, and seems to
achieve this pretty well. Tarek is responsive to bug reports and is also
doing a lot of work surrounding packaging in the python core...

> perhaps it is paranoia, but it's *justified* paranoia: I don't trust
> setuptools as far as I can throw it, and I can't understand why anyone
> else does.

Well, virtualenv and buildout both use setuptools, and a *lot* of
packages use it, so it's not all bad, promise ;-)

It's currently, and will be for the forseable future, the *only* way to
specify what packages your package depends on.

Specifying dependencies is a good thing.
Packaging things as python packages is a good thing.
Using good tools to package project setups  (buildout or virtualenv,
whichever fits your brain) are good things.

I hope you won't argue with any of those three ;-)

> When I need that I use pip with requirements files, and I'm already
> doing everything in virtualenv :)

I don't know anything about pip and precious little about virtualenv,
but this strikes me as having to worry about making sure you haven't
forgotten some dependency of one of your project's dependencies. What if
your project has different dependencies depending on what python version
and/or platform it's deployed on?

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk