I think I may have figured out what was happening. I did not have a
404.html in templates, and assume now that the messages were coming
only because of that (the missing template seemed consequential to me
and not the primary cause). I didn't think a template was necessary.
Can someone confirm that this is the case?

Thanks,
Troy