On Sat, Sep 26, 2009 at 11:33 PM, troyhitch <troyhi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think I may have figured out what was happening. I did not have a
> 404.html in templates, and assume now that the messages were coming
> only because of that (the missing template seemed consequential to me
> and not the primary cause). I didn't think a template was necessary.
> Can someone confirm that this is the case?

Assuming you are using the default error handlers, you do need a 404.html
template.  Without it the server will wind up raising an exception when it
tries to return a 404 response.

I guess, then, you were not actually getting broken link emails (which have
a subject like Broken INTERNAL link on [site] and a body showing the
referrer, the requested URL, the user agent, and the IP address of the
requestor) but rather server error emails (which have a subject of ERROR
along with the requested URL and have a body that shows the traceback of the
error)?  I don't see how you could have been getting broken link emails if
you did not have a 404.html template.

You do also need a 500.html template.

Karen