Hi all,

I keep running into a problem. Often when creating models for existing
databases which you can not modify, I find myself in need of quite a
few model methods. That all works fine but then when I run a view I
would like to be able to use the object mapper to filter by the method
on a model. In other word often I need a virtual database field that
gets calculated on the fly. I know I could just modify the queryset
but what if I have thousands and thousands of data to analyse and just
need a few results. For example:

class Person(models.Model):
    name = models.CharField(.......)

    def compare_to_other(self):
         return X

now in a view I would like to be able to:

results = Person.objects.filter(compare_to_others__gte = 1)

I am not sure if I am just using bad practice that I run into this
problem or not. I hope someone can point me in the right direction. I
do not want to use custom sql and often the analysis is too
complicated for Sql

Thanks