Yet another option is to write a widget that subclasses the existing
one, and adds
disabled='disabled' to the dictionary that will be used to populate
the attributes
(usually the 'attrs' argument, I think, and you will have to handle
the possibility
that you will be passed None instead of a dict).

Bill