On Monday 16 November 2009 18:08:35 Kenneth Gonsalves wrote:
> On Monday 16 Nov 2009 10:44:27 pm Mike Ramirez wrote:
> > > it is precisely this assumption that does not seem logical to me. But
> > >  frankly I do not know how to counter it ;-)
> >
> > How is it not logical?  Product A is widely used, Product B is used less.
> >  Bad  Guy A. is smart enough to realize that product A if broken can be
> >  used to gain him more presents because more users have it.
>
> so if we follow your logic to the inevitable conclusion, the moment the bad
> guys train their weapons on django it is going to be shot as full of holes
>  as drupal (or even phpbb).

No, I did say 'product A if broken' -- keyword being if.

But Bad Guy A will try everything to put holes in django, and whats worse is
that he'll have a different perspective than you or I and might see something
that we didn't or someone else didn't and walla, we have a hole.  We all know
there is potential for security problems in well established software that
aren't discovered today, because of this and human error in future revisions
and changes. Now am I saying the django devs are lazy or incompetent?  If I
really believed that I would be using something else and calling you all
idiots for using a badly developed piece of software. No, I'm calling them
human, if they aren't human, then well aliens are finally proven.

>  In which case why are the devels focussing so
>  much of their time trying to make the app safe and secure?
>  Should they not
>  be better of lighting candles in the rain and praying that the bad guys
>  radar doesn't function?
>  I personally am of the opinion that constant
>  harping on safe practices and not doing silly things like permitting code
>  inside html (for example) will create an inherently safer app - and the
>  bad guys will congregate elsewhere. After all bitbucket is big enough to
>  be on their radar - and it got hosed - although I hear that was an amazon
>  problem, not a django issue (could be wrong).

Open source helps this a lot, lets not forget this.

PHP application problems that we see are bad coding techniques, mostly in
older software that's been coded since php4 and updated for later versions of
php, which says to me that they didn't take into account half of the known
vulns today because they weren't known yesterday.

We also have to take into account all the ways a user might try to use our
software, because they are lazy and not always vigilent, which is the main
area that bad guys prey on.  For example, redirecting after a login to break
the back button so the next user can't get the login form details. It's hard
to speculate everything a person will do, too many individuals with different
view points.  Even using large test groups it's hard be 100% correct 100% of
the time.

In the end all you can do is prevent what is known today, hope that you've
covered for tomorrow.

Mike

--
Red Hat Unveils New Ad Campaign

Linux distributor Red Hat has announced plans for a $650,000 ad campaign. The
ads will appear on several major newspapers as well as on a few selected
websites. "These ads will be targetted towards Windows users who are fed up
but
aren't aware of any OS alternatives," a Red Hat spokesman said. "We feel that
there is a large audience for this."

One of the ads will be a half page spread showing two computers side-by-side:
Wintel and a Linux box. The title asks "Is your operating system ready for the
year 2000?" Both computers have a calendar/clock display showing. The Windows
box shows "12:00:01AM -- January 1, 1900" while the Linux box shows
"12:00:01AM
-- January 1, 2000". The tagline at the bottom says "Linux -- a century ahead
of the competition."