On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 5:58 AM, KONTRA, Gergely <pihent...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Seems like you built your own project, and not using my zip.

Yes, because just cut and pasting the template tag into my existing working
test project seemed easier than downloading a zip file.  But even after
retrieving the zip file and working from that (I had to remove the
references to admin in the urls.py file since admin isn't in the
INSTALLED_APPS setting) I still see the original traceback reflected in the
message, so the difference between what you and I see is not due to
differences in the projects.

However, the result IS different.

> In my traceback I do not have any snippet referencing customtag.py.
>
> See my trace: http://dpaste.com/hold/125819/

Hmm.  Your traceback shows you are using Python 2.6.  If I switch to that,
then I see the behavior you are describing.  For some reason under Python
2.6 the exception value is being truncated at the end of the first line, so
the original traceback is getting lost.

There is a ticket open on the whole exception wrapping behavior of handing
exceptions that occur during template rendering:

http://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/11461

I have not looked in detail at how things behave with the proposed patches,
partly because since I've been seeing the original exception the wrapping
behavior did not strike me as quite that bad.  Perhaps you can try out the
patches, see if they improve things for your environment, and give some
feedback.

Karen