Hi all,

As of last Thursday we've been seeing ~100% CPU usage from Apache, which
we believe was caused by Debian Bug #528529[0], whereby psycopg2 was
attempting to double free pointers, resulting in segfaults. This was
then (we think) leaving database connections open, resulting in postgres
saying "no more connections, TYVM" and the whole site 500ing. Not good.

On Monday we worked out what was happening and pulled psycopg2 2.0.12
from PyPI, as the bugfix hasn't been backported to Debian Lenny.
Everything seemed happy, but now we're seeing similar symptoms again and
were wondering if anyone else could help.

Versionwise, we have:
 * Django 1.1
 * Python 2.5.2 (r252:60911, Jan  4 2009, 17:40:26) [GCC 4.3.2]
 * Debian Lenny
 * psycopg2 2.0.12-py2.5-linux-i686
 * postgresql 8.3.8

Here're the outputs of a few things that might be useful:
 * SELECT * FROM pg_stat_activity: http://dpaste.com/131597/
 * SELECT * FROM pg_locks:         http://dpaste.com/131598/
 * The top of 'top':               http://dpaste.com/131599/
 * A bit of 'ps -Af':              http://dpaste.com/131600/
 * A screenshot of our CPU usage:  http://users.ox.ac.uk/~kebl2765/cpu.png
 * A screenshot of our load avg:   http://users.ox.ac.uk/~kebl2765/load.png

The short drops in CPU utilisation were due to apache/postgres/system
restarts, and periods of high system CPU usage were generally when it
was 500ing.

The first time round we had tracebacks and memory dumps in our
/var/log/apache2/error.log; now there's nothing useful.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Warm regards,

Alex