I do something similar in my app.  I display a whole bunch of posts to
the user, and they can choose to reply to any one. In my case all the
displayed posts are in a single form.  Associated with each post is a
reply button whose onclick handler makes a call to a jquery function I
wrote called addReply().  When the user clicks reply, it calls addReply
(), passing in the id of the post as an argument.  That function
creates a hidden input called commentParent whose value is the id of
the parent post.  It also opens a text area where the user can type
and adds cancel, preview (my comments are in a markup language), and
save buttons.  By creating the hidden commentParent input on the fly,
I guarantee there is only one commentParent posted.  My app has a
requirement that the user can only reply to one comment at a time, so
for this reason , my addReply() function disables all other reply
buttons so that the useer can't reply to two different posts at once
and when a reply is posted, the commentParent input is posted and my
server picks that up along with the reply and adds the reply to the
database.

I am using Eric Florenzano's threadedcomments package for my comments,
and that has worked well.

Maybe there is standard stuff out there for doing this.  I was a
newbie at jquery when I started all of this and it was a major
learning experience to get it all right.   But as I type this, it
really makes me wonder if there would have been something more canned
that I could have used.  What I did was pretty custom, but it
certainly sounds like what a million other web apps out there do.
Would be interested to hear what others are doing in this area.

Margie