From: Ian Bicking <i...@colorstudy.com>
Date: Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 12:39 PM
Subject: Re: [Neighborly] Next Hackathon in January
To: neighbo...@forums.e-democracy.org

OK, some details for the next hackathon:

Date: Saturday, January 9th
Time (tentatively): 2pm until we lose steam.  Does that sound good?
Location: my place, 3015 10th Ave S (map: http://bit.ly/3015-map), Apt. 2
(left door)
Please RSVP (just email me i...@colorstudy.com ) to give me an idea of how
many people to expect;
but if you forget to RSVP don't let that stop you from coming.
Bringing drinks and snacks is appreciated, but don't feel obliged.

Before the hackathon:
Check out the repository: http://github.com/ianb/neighborly
Sign up for an account on github.  We're full of trust, so everyone gets
push access to the main repository.

Try to get Postgres and PostGIS installed on your laptop (if you get stuck
someone can surely help you at the hackathon, but it's helpful if you try it
out ahead of time).
Read the README, some of the mail on this list, ask questions, etc.
If you can get the code running, that would be great; it doesn't *do* much
right now (the only thing it really does is have some models and the
standard Django admin forms).

In terms of platform, we've got a skeleton built on Django (
http://www.djangoproject.com/) and GeoDjango (http://geodjango.org/).
 Reading up on those certainly can't hurt.  There's interest in using other
platforms (e.g., Ruby), though we haven't talked in depth about how that
might work.  The most obvious way would be things like a scraper that
monitors sites of local interest (e.g., the city website) and finds items of
local interest, and then adds them to the system (as kind of generic
"interesting local content").

Besides programming, these skills are useful:
 1. UI work; HTML, etc.
 2. Graphic design help is always awesome and usually missing.
 3. Helping build up functional documentation; what are we making, how
should it work? (for developer consumption)
 4. Site documentation (for user consumption)
You've probably noticed Steven has already been doing stuff for 3; if we're
all on the same page about what we're trying to build I think we'll be much
more efficient, so this is really helpful.  Anyone with knowledge of HTML
can be immediately helpful by building HTML mockups, wireframes, etc; I
think it actually works really well to do this frontend work before
implementing the programming behind those forms, so

--
Ian Bicking  |  http://blog.ianbicking.org  |
http://topplabs.org/civichacker

Ian Bicking