I had also noticed that errors from templates were quite hard to
debug.  Some time ago I saw this thread on on this group:

http://groups.google.com/group/django-users/browse_thread/thread/ee29c542dcc0dc95/aaa3f89a2a77fa3f?lnk=gst&q=template_debug#aaa3f89a2a77fa3f

I applied the very simple patch, which is listed in
http://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/11451

(Here's my own notes on what the patch is)
File: /site-packages/django/template/debug.py

        # raise wrapped # remove this line, add next line, see ticket
11451
         raise wrapped, None, wrapped.exc_info[2]

After applying this patch I found the the traceback errors made much
more sense.  The tracebacks are complete now and point me to a line
that is meaningful.

I believe this is some sort of issue only with python 2.6, so if you
are not on 2.6, it is probably not a solution for you, but if you are
on 2.6, give it a try.

Margie