On Jan 14, 2010, at 6:04 AM, Amit Sethi wrote:

> Hi , I have  a project with a few static html pages , I wish to search these
> static html using a django search app . Most of the tutorials I saw are
> focused on searching django models but none I could see concentrates on
> indexing static html pages . Can some one guide be to a library /tutorial etc
> for searching and indexing static pages in a project .
>
> --
> A-M-I-T S|S
> --

A possibility (I don't know how feasible this is) would be to import the
content of those HTML files into Django Flatpages. If the projects you
discovered just require a Django model of some kind, you should be good to go.

Otherwise, it sounds like, as in your subject line, you're just going to be
using Python's string methods to search plain text. If the same static
documents are going to be searched over time, then you could cache their
contents in a database. Maybe then you can apply some of the clever ideas
people have put into Django-specific search tools, but you might have to
implement some of them in your own search code, rather than using a
Django-specific project as-is.

Shawn