Hello,

I've been using whoosh and find it very easy to implement.  Whoosh has
good documentation on static file indexing and  django related
documentation is available.

Whoosh Specific
  http://whoosh.ca/
  http://files.whoosh.ca/whoosh/docs/latest/index.html

Django Related

http://www.arnebrodowski.de/blog/add-full-text-search-to-your-django-project-with-whoosh.html
  http://projects.django-development.com/trac/dd_devel/wiki/dd_search_wiki

The last link is some code I threw together that uses multiple indexes
so you could set one up for static files as well as for django based
if you want/need both.  I would probably write a manager for indexing
static media that would take an OS path and base URL to prepend to it
and run it when needed.  If you want to try whoosh feel free to ask me
questions.

Mark