You could use contrib.contenttypes framework to do this pretty easily
provided the models you will be working with have a similar structure;
they all have a field called 'content' for example that would be
editable.

You can have a model that is the intermediate which has a generic
foreign key which points to the object which was edited. So when
someone edits an item , the data in request.POST is used to make a new
intermediate item rather than update the item that was actually
edited.

Then a moderator can decide to apply the update or not

This would also create a history of edits on each object and make
revision control and reverting rather easy.

This means the intermediate model is really the 'Heavy Lifter' of the
setup.