On 21 Feb 2010, at 04:38, Shawn Milochik wrote:

I used the same comparison you did, and I ended up going with Django- CMS. I like it a lot.

As for importing the content, that should be pretty easy. Once you see how Django-CMS works you'll just need to make a simple HTML template and then transfer the data from your old database into the appropriate places.

However, if you only just discovered Django this weekend, I think there will be a learning curve you need to overcome before trying to understand Django-CMS (or any other large reusable Django app). I recommend reading "The Definitive Guide to Django," and supplementing it with questions on this list. In that order -- if you ask questions here before doing the reading yourself you'll just end up dependent on others and they'll lose interest in doing your work for you.

Welcome to Django! I did Perl before Python as well, and now Python is my favorite language, by far. Also, as has been noted many times before, if you're not that comfortable with Python, a lot of your questions about how to do something 'in Django' is really how to do it in Python. Django is Python. I hope my rambling is helpful.

Shawn

Thanks very much for your advice Shawn and Timothy.

Taking your advice I will keep my first priority to continue studying Python, at the moment I'm reading Building Skills in Python by Steven F. Lott. (I'm open to suggestions if you have other books I should be reading) Once I'm comfortable with Python I'll read "The Definitive Guide to Django" as you suggested. I've already installed Django on my Server and ran the tutorial part one and tow and so I will play with it in parallel.

Thanks for the advice and the Welcome, I'm excited about learning Python, if only it was accepted at work I could start writing in Python instead of Perl but at the moment Python is not yet recognized by our build system!

Thanks and Regards,

Jerry