I am relatively new to Django and am comfortable creating views and
customising templates.  I am wondering if there is an easy way to
spice up certain things, such as tables, in a similar way to the admin
interface does.  Specifically I'd like sortable/filterable columns at
this time, perhaps with the option to add checkboxes/custom buttons to
each row later (for editing records or selecting multiple records).

Can I use the same method as the admin interface?  Are there external
libraries that do a better job with these sort of UI things?  Or
should I just roll my own somehow?

I've seen things like GWT which are total overkill, but something
nicer than a normal fixed <table> would be great.

Thanks for any suggestions!