John Griessen wrote:

Next, I'm looking for why in my settings.py

TEMPLATE_DIRS = (
"/home/john/djangotemplates"
)

is not being used.

I found the trouble and fixed already --

That above wasn't a good descr. of the symptom:

/home/john/djangotemplates  is not on the python path, but is inthe settings.py
file as above.

Django tried loading these templates, in this order:

    * Using loader django.template.loaders.filesystem.load_template_source:
          o /home/john/djangotemplates/polls/poll_list.html (File does not
exist)

where I can
ls -l

-rw-rw-r-- 1 john john 191 2010-03-07 18:55
/home/john/djangotemplates/polls/poll_list.html

why is the loader stopped?

chmod o+x djangotemplates
j...@toolbench:~$ chmod o+x djangotemplates/polls/

fixed that.