On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 4:54 PM, russianbandit <russianban...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm using UserProfile to add one field to my users. However, I know
> that I must explicitly create UserProfile for each new user that
> registers. So, I make a UserProfile upon registration. Is UserProfile
> still the best way to extend the user model?
> What about the admin user, or users that the admin creates? Since they
> don't go through the registration process, how do I ensure that their
> UserProfile gets created?

Add this to your models.py

from django.db.models.signals import post_save
from django.contrib.auth.models import User

def _hook_save_user(instance, sender, **kwargs):
  try:
    instance.get_profile()
  except UserProfile.DoesNotExist:
    UserProfile.objects.get_or_create(user=instance)

post_save.connect(_hook_save_user, sender=User)

Cheers

Tom