On 03/23/2010 04:57 PM, jrs wrote:
Russ and Javier,

Just to be clear... the reason for my initial note was due to my
already having a work queue which performs cleanup and maintains
data integrity.  It is precisely due to this that I'm surprised the
ORM has cascading deletes on by default.

Your "surprise" doesn't make it wrong.

Seems to me that cascades
should only happen when the app developer specifies, not the other
way around...

No. The default behaviour should always be to protect data integrity. I take it you're a MySQL user.

it's dangerous and I'm certain that many developers
were bit by this.

"Dangerous"? It's dangerous NOT to enforce referential integrity by default and I hope that Russ et al don't spend even a second thinking about how to implement a means of turning this off. If you want to play database engine and take responsibility for maintaining referential integrity, go ahead and use raw SQL, though you might have to work at it if you have a real database.
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay
Dinamis