Dear Shal,

See comments inline:

On May 21, 2014, at 4:45 PM, Shal Farley <s...@roadrunner.com> wrote:

> Douglas,
>
> > Sorry about being slow to respond.  I am working on a document that
> > should permit Author-Domains a means to assert exceptions permitted
> > for specific authenticated domains (based on their review of DMARC
> > feedback as a means to permit actual user behaviors.). This is
> > information recipients simply do not have and represents something
> > that only the Author-Domain should be making.
>
> I doubt I'm fully understanding your proposal, but it sounds like another cut
> at closing the trust gap by pushing authentication from the sender
> (author-domain).

Not exactly.  The proposal does allow the author a say in what exceptions
should be made in an effort to ensure the cooperation they are seeking is lost
because of receivers increased support costs when they are mislead into
rejecting or quarantining a message that was in fact legitimate and very much
desired by the recipient.

> But it doesn't seem reasonable to me, as a user of brand R ESP and subscriber
> to a brand Y list, that the various author domains of the other list members'
> brand A, B, C, ... ESPs should determine whether or not I can receive those
> members' messages. Why is it that you assert that only the Author-Domain
> should be making those decisions?

Subscribing to brand 'Y' costs nothing as it has for decades.   Many small
community organizations such as churches and theater groups make extensive use
of these services.  I'll use Yahoo as an example of what can go wrong, while at
the same time it is not right to then blame those offering third-party
services.  It could be an accountant sending out invoices on behalf of their
client by placing their domain in the Sender header field and that of their
client into the From.  When what was once a normal email channel gets saddled
with new From/source domain alignment requirements, those making the change
should know in advance what will break and which exceptions are needed.  After
all, that is the purpose of all the receivers cooperating with author-domains.
The Author-domain is normally attempting to protect their brand by making
assertions that are likely acted upon.

This then runs head long into situations like Yahoo, where as a result of one
of their contracted services, exposed millions of accounts.  Even after these
accounts are restored to their rightful owners, the malefactors now have
information to then do evil things to their acquaintances.  Considering the
liability potential, it is not surprising they took the rather drastic action
of asserting if the From is not aligned with our server, please reject the
message.  John Levine may argue there should have been another choice of
"discard", however DMARC was about ensuring delivery as much as it was about
protecting recipients of their services from abuse.  The choice of discard
takes you rapidly down a slippery slope of email becoming too unreliable for
serious use.

> I don't get what information in the DMARC feedback could possibly be of value
> in this circumstance - all that tells the author domain is what decisions my
> (and other) ESPs made with regard to the message.

And no one else sees that information.  It provides the author-domain two
general categories of knowledge:

1) Who is spoofing their author-domain
2) Which legitimate messages might be lost

For item 2, the author-domain will be able to specify authenticated sources for
their messages.  It will also allow the author-domain to add what should be in
the Sender header to deal with outside administrative services or what should
be in the List-ID to deal with mailing lists, such as this one.

> The DMARC feedback tells them nothing about how much I value that message
> content - especially in those cases where I never get to see the content due
> to my ESP's decisions.

The goal would be to take a marketing negative and change it into a positive.
By carefully deploying DMARC + TPA, they can then claim to be protecting their
users and their users' recipients from being spoofed. This can be done while
also allowing email to continue functioning just as it does now.  My inbox
shows someone is attempting to compromise one of my accounts as I type this
message.  I would see it as a positive when messages by such malefactors are
refused so I don't see this nonsense.  Repeated attacks continuing over several
days tells customers to look elsewhere for a different service.

> In fact, looked at the other way around, from the point of view of the
> message list contributor (author), it sounds like you are giving his/her ESP
> veto power over which mailing lists he/she can participate in, by the ESP's
> choice of which list domains to permit.

Your ESP currently decides which messages to send and which to place into an
inbox.  Some will go missing unbeknownst to you. In the case of an exigent
situation with rampant criminal activity, it is normal to find greater latitude
granted in such matters.

> I think this speaks to a fundamental distinction between the kind of email
> traffic DMARC was designed to facilitate, versus email list traffic. The
> canonical DMARC message is one the author wishes to push to the recipient.
> The canonical list message is one the author wants to push to the list
> service, but from there the forwarded messages are much less the concern of
> the author, and much more the concern of each recipient member of the list.

DMARC + TPA can still work fine with email list traffic, outside administrative
services, tell-a-friend invites etc.

> That's why in terms of closing the trust gap, I think the extension should be
> from me the recipient saying "I signed up for that list, I trust it's
> judgment about message quality". The list is acting as my receiving agent.

Most mailing lists have many eyes looking for trouble and normally are fairly
quick at dropping offensive subscribers. Adding tags on the subject helps sort
which messages were from which list, but these methods represent scoring games
with odds always in the malefactors' favor.  Unless defenses are robust and
accurate, malefactors will keep trying until they find an in.

> Having the author domain trying to decide which of the thousands (tens of
> thousands?) of list domains should be granted permission sounds like a recipe
> for endless user frustration.

Yahoo suggested there are 30K of such services.  At any point in time, there
are more than 100M unique domains sending email. It is clearly the recipients
who lack the tools needed to sort out this mess. After all, the author domain
along with DMARC feedback is able to confirm which represents legitimate
services and which don't.  It is a matter of comparing feedback against
outbound logs.

> At least with the idea of each receiving ESP running its own whitelist of
> lists, they have direct access to the receiving user's judgments as expressed
> by "Spam" and "Not Spam" as a kind of crowdsourcing for the quality metric -
> assuming first that they pass the messages to at least the Spam folder even
> in the face of a p=reject author domain.

User feedback is still guessing what is meant by "this is spam".  Only the
author-domain is able to make accurate assessments and end this guesswork.

> My idea is not much different, I simply dispense with the overall whitelist
> of lists and make that a per user list.

Dumping the problem onto users is a good recipe for losing customers.  This is
the very thing DMARC was trying to prevent.  Why would you want to step into
mucking with guesswork?  The author-domain can prevent services from being
needlessly disrupted and knows with a high degree of accuracy which sources can
be legitimate.

Regards,
Douglas Otis