[Lost DMARC-discuss in the response...]

Thanks for your reply. Not responding inline due to email client evilness -
sorry.

Re: maintaining a list of valid forwarding domains... It's not just large
providers that want to use DMARC, and it's not a constant list of the same
"service" domains doing the From address munging. It's not only mailing list
configurations that currently fail to interoperate with DMARC - it's newspaper
"send this to a friend" services and individual websites who might implement
the same type of service (e.g. a photography website might have an email to a
friend link, or an independent shop); if a user has to have at least one fail
(and an active site admin) before they can send links from any given site, this
doesn't seem like the road to nirvana. An effective (for both providers and
users) solution in my mind would make this automated or unnecessary rather than
eternal.

Re: preventing authorized domains from going rogue... Again, is this the way
things have to be - or just the way things are because of choices we've made
that are relatively easily altered despite a long history of "we've always done
it that way"? For some DMARC uses, even a short period of time with a rogue
site sending mail on their behalf is Bad. Same for someone who abuses an author
advertised exception in order to phish away against a major target like eBay.
An ideal solution would automatically prevent rogue sites from anywhere outside
of the control of the domain.

Solutions such as encapsulation of the original message or noting how to
recreate the message in a manner that would pass DKIM, or addressing as the
site actually sending the message all meet a "least work" standard that various
whitelist proposals all seem to fail as far as I've seen.

Just MHO,

--
Les Barstow, Senior Software Engineer
Return Path, Inc. - The Global Leader in Email Intelligence