From: dmarc-discuss [mailto:dmarc-discuss-boun...@dmarc.org] On Behalf Of
Murray S. Kucherawy via dmarc-discuss
Sent: Thursday, June 5, 2014 4:09 PM
To: John Levine
Cc: dmarc-discuss@dmarc.org<mailto:dmarc-discuss@dmarc.org>
Subject: Re: [dmarc-discuss] DMARC thwarted already?

On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 3:34 PM, John Levine via dmarc-discuss
<dmarc-discuss@dmarc.org<mailto:dmarc-discuss@dmarc.org>> wrote:

We might, but we probably wouldn't, since there's no reason to assume
that typical users understand the security implications of mail
addresses and domain names.  Also, considering that there is
approximately an infinite number of ways to write something that looks
sort of like some other thing that people are expecting, this approach
is bailing the ocean with a sieve.

It might work better to flip things around and try highlighting the
good stuff.  Green bar SSL certs are an example of this approach.

+1 here too.  As another data point, we long ago abandoned the idea of using
DKIM to identify undesirable content outright and instead focused on using it
to identify good stuff.  That seems to be a much more productive discussion.

-MSK